What is Teeth Whitening?
Everyone wishes to have sparkling white teeth that shine when you smile. It is possible to achieve this through Teeth Whitening. Teeth Whitening is the process of lightening the colour of the teeth that are stained.
Why is it needed?
Over the years our teeth get stained due to the accumulation various food particles as well as due to the consumption of stainers like tea, coffee, red wine and cigarette.Lack of proper oral hygiene may also lead to staining. Age also plays an important role in the discolouration of the teeth.Teeth Whitening techniques help in getting rid of these stains and help us achieve a sparkling white smile.
Getting Ready for Teeth Whitening
- It is better to treat cavities or any other gum diseases before starting with teeth whitening
- Exposed roots of the teeth need to be treated as they cannot be whitened.
- Tooth Whitening does not work on ceramic/porcelain crown or veneers
How is it done?
- The dentist examines the teeth and takes a picture of them in order to track the progress.
- The teeth are professionally cleaned so that the bacteria and other food residue are removed.
- Teeth Whitening can either be done at home or in office.
- Office: The dentist applies a whitening gel containing a high concentration of hydrogen peroxide. This gel is activated by a laser arch curing lights that is monitored by the dentist.The entire procedure takes about 45 minutes.
- Home: The dentist makes trays or mouthpiece to hold the whitening gel that fits the teeth perfectly. This gel needs to be applied daily for about two to three weeks.
- Teeth whitening strips are also available at Chemists that stick to the teeth.
- Over the counter whitening strips and mouthpiece might not fit properly as they are not custom made.
Although tooth whitening is a safe procedure, you can expect sensitivity and irritation for a short time. At Swastik Dental Care we provide the best Teeth Whitening and Cleaning Treatment in Pimpri-Chinchwad, Pune.