An orthodontist specialises in the in prevention, diagnosis and treatment of facial and dental irregularities. Orthodontic Treatment involves correcting the improper alignment and spacing between the teeth using braces or clear aligners . At Swastik Dental Care we have a team of Orthodontists and Braces Specialist who have pioneered Orthodontic Treatment in Pimpri-Chinchwad, Pune.
Scope of Orthodontic Treatment:
Orthodontic treatment can correct the following:
- Crooked or Protruding or Misaligned tooth which is referred to as Malocclusion technically.
- Crowding of tooth
- Disproportionate teeth/jaws
- Gaps between teeth and midline diastemas
- Impacted canines
- Palatal expansion
Types of Orthodontic Treatment:
- Fixed: In Fixed orthodontics, metal wires are inserted into orthodontic brackets, made of stainless steel or ceramic, sometimes in combination with titanium. Ceramic brackets are fixed and translucent so they merge well with the tooth color. Lingual braces are placed behind the teeth so they are virtually invisible.
- Removable: In Removable Orthodontics, (plates), headgear, palatal expansion appliances, tongue crib, and many other devices may be used to move the teeth and bones.
- Functional appliances are used in young patients with aim of modifying the jaw dimensions, such as palatal expansion, headgear, etc.
- Habit breaking appliances for tongue thrusting, mouth breathing, such as tongue crib, or palatal crib, etc.
Ideal Age for Orthodontic Treatment:
- It is recommended that the child is evaluated by 7 for any dental treatment.Interceptive orthodontics is done at the time when the jawbones are growing and the bone is not so dense.Movement of teeth is easily possible before the growth of bones is complete.
- 11-14 years is the ideal age for initiating orthodontic therapy as this is in the mixed dentition stage.
- With the recent medical advancements, it is possible to start orthodontic treatment from any age. However,in adults the bone is more thick and mineralized compared to adolescents, thus leads to more complications.
Duration of Treatment
The average duration of an Orthodontic Treatment may range between 6 months to 2 year depending on the age and other circumstances of the patient.